Monday, December 31, 2012

The Return of the King

This is going to be a tough one. There are so many great moments and great shots in this film. It's definitely our favorite to go, "Oh, I love this shot. This is the best shot." It has my favorite musical theme with "The Grey Havens." It's hard to point to what my three favorite scenes are, so I will just go with what my favorites are right now. (Always subject to change).


3. The side of Mount Doom- 
Sam: "Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It’ll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they’ll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields… and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?
Frodo: "No, Sam. I can’t recall the taste of food… Nor the sound of wood or touch of grass… I’m naked in the dark, with nothing. No veil between me and the ring of fire. I can see him with my waking eyes!"
Sam: "Then let us be rid of it! Once and for all! Come on Mr. Frodo. I can’t carry it for you! But I can carry you! Come on!"
Genius!

2. Four Hobbits returning home-There is a brief moment at the end of the film when Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin are sitting at Green Dragon in Hobbiton sipping their favorite ale. There are no words spoken, just a glance between these friends that have gone on the most incredible journey. They are changed. They have just saved Middle Earth and the other Hobbits around them have no idea. They are strangers in their own home now. The look and the moment they share is so beautiful and heart-breaking.

1. Frodo receiving a much needed boost-Frodo has sent Sam home, escaped Shelob's lair and has just thrown Gollum off a cliff. He falls to the ground, but finds himself in Lothlorien. Galadriel (so beautiful in every way) tells him, "This task was appointed to you, Frodo of the Shire. If you do not find a way, no one will." She takes Frodo by the hand and lifts him up. He finds himself back in Mordor. It's so short, but so perfect. I think I love it so much because of its link to Fellowship.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Sam/Frodo scene on the side of Mt. Doom too. I think I cried in my cereal the next morning after I saw it for the first time, thinking of that. And I'll add two more woman scenes - Eowyn's "I am no woman", and Arwen's return (and kiss...). Loved watching them all this year, as usual!

    ReplyDelete