Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Favorite Films (40-31)



40)  A League of Their Own-  "There's no crying in baseball!"


39)  The Three Amigos-  Absolutely one of the funniest movies of all time! Martin (a talent in so many art forms), Chase, and Short have such great chemistry. Some of my favorite quotable lines. We show about 45 minutes of this to our sixth graders each year on Cinco de Mayo.


38)  Raising Arizona-  Many think that Nicolas Cage sold out after his early years in acting. I still love him, but I agree that he had a different approach when he was younger. The Coen Brother's best film. "I'll be taking these Huggies, and whatever cash ya got."


37)  Hook-  This movie is grossly misjudged. I think it's one of the best family films ever made. I love Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Smith, the lost boys. In my opinion this is the best music John Williams ever created.


36)  The Little Mermaid-  The last film Walt Disney personally oversaw before his death was 1967's The Jungle Book. Over the next 20 years, Disney's feature length cartoon department almost disappeared with some pretty horrible outings. Then The Little Mermaid opened and changed modern cartoons as we know them today. I can still remember sitting in the Scera Theater seeing this movie over and over. Life changing.


35)  The Sting-  Newman and Redford at their best. I love this movie! It reminds me of my friends in high school. Great revenge.


34)  Moulin Rouge-  I was absolutely blown away by this film when it was released--still am. If I'm not mistaken, it kick started the wave of movie musicals from recent years. Ewan McGregor is incredible. The "Elephant Love Medley" is brilliant.


33)  Sleepless in Seattle-  If you don't like this movie, there is something wrong with you. I'm sorry, there is.


32)  Ghostbusters-  "The flowers... are still... standing!" Everything about this movie is just so good. What a fantastic idea with such great talent. Who would have thought it would work?!


31)  Out of Sight-  "Fake legs?!" This is George Clooney's first great movie. If you watch him in anything earlier, he really is not a very good actor. I think Steven Soderbergh made him into the talent he is now. The scene between Clooney and Jennifer Lopez in the trunk is so sexy. And then...the hotel scene!--sexiest scene on film.

1 comment:

  1. Such great picks! I just thought of "Sleepless in Seattle" today as I wrote NY on package Maddie is sending Jantzen. I saw "Ghostbuster's" about a dozen times when it came out, Bill Murray, Rick Moranes...so, so funny! My favorite on this list? "Raising Arizona!"

    ReplyDelete