Saturday, July 6, 2013

My 100 Favorite Films (100-76)


I have loved movies my entire life (I've got the embarrassing tatoo to prove it). I grew up watching classic Disney films, both animated and live-action (you will find a few on my list). I love action, comedy, epic, romance, horror…Film, more than any other artistic medium, affects me deeply and occupies a great deal of my thoughts and conversation with others.

You notice that my title for this blog is “My 100 Favorite films,” not the 100 best films. I’m sure there are best films that did not make my list (there’s no Godfather, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Psycho). I’ve seen them and they’re good, but I’ve made a list of films that I really enjoy watching and will watch again and again. I know there are movies I have forgotten and a couple on my list that I’m still battling with, but this was a very difficult process. I challenge you to try it!

So for your enjoyment here is the first in a series to follow over the next few days: Films 100 through 76.

100)  Mannequin- Yes, I wanted a mannequin to come to life for me when I was 12. I’m pretty confident I was not the only one…

99)  Signs- My favorite of Shyamalan’s films (he did make some good ones early on).  Water premise aside, it’s got a good, creepy feeling. Mel and Joaquin are brilliant.

98)  Say Anything… “I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.”

97)  The Social Network- So intriguing! I love what Fincher did with this, but I know it would not have been as effective if not for Trent Reznor’s score. 

96)  Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl- Jack Sparrow is one of the greatest characters ever created.

95)  The Holiday- Winslet, Black, Law, Diaz…great story.

94)  I Am Legend- Will Smith’s best. I love the feel and visuals of last man alive in New York City.

93)  A Bug’s Life- This movie for me is a link to Kam’s childhood and California Adventure.

92)  The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey- It has DNA of LOTR. I think this will get better for me over time. Peter Jackson and his team put SO much love, time, and passion into these films.

91)  50 First Dates- An Adam Sandler film on any list might be cause for rejection of said list. But this movie is a winner.

90)  Shaun of the Dead- I love zombies and this is as good as you will find.

89)  The Iron Giant- “I am Superman.” Tears every time.

88)  Sense and Sensibility- Emma Thompson is a genius. This is a fantastic film!

87)  Blazing Saddles- The only movie I know of where a horse gets punched and it’s the funniest thing you have ever seen.

86)  Sneakers- My first Phil Alden Robinson film on the list. Redford and Kingsley are so good. Perfect music, great intensity, I want it further down on my list.

85)  Groundhog Day- Bill Murray’s second best film. “It’s just a couple of flakes…”

84)  Clue- I watched this non-stop as a kid. Loved the game, thought it was so weird it was being made into a film, but it worked.

83)  The Untouchables- “Here endeth the lesson.”

82)  In Bruges- This was a sweet find. Who knew Collin Farrell was so funny?

81)  Catch Me If You Can- This is a film that grew on me. John Williams created a great score and Leonardo DiCaprio gave such a layered performance.

80)  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- “Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?”

79)  The Mummy- I could watch this movie anytime. Brendan Fraser is perfectly cast, as is Rachel Weisz. Popcorn fun.

78)  Warrior- Some of the best performances I have seen. Nick Nolte killed in this.

77)  Big- Again, this is a movie that every boy wishes would come true.

76)  Oceans 11- It’s hard not to enjoy this film. It shows the Las Vegas you wish were real.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ryan,
    The haunting isn't even on your top 100 films. Why do you even care.
    Sincerely,
    The confused child of the century

    ReplyDelete