Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thoughts on the Oscars



I remember when I used to have Oscars parties. It seems like it used to mean more to me. The movies that have come out in the past few years have not motivated me to really care about these awards anymore. I miss the days of Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings, Titanic, Forrest Gump. These were movies that really moved you. Movies that made you want to root for them and go see them again and again. In short, I want to have cinematic “experiences” again.

Anyway, some thoughts on this year’s telecast:
·      Hathaway and Fanco were entertaining, but no one will top Billy Crystal. He made the Oscars so much fun to watch. His appearance and story about Bob Hope flipping him off was awesome!
·      Why are we nominating 10 movies? It splits votes and doesn’t make it as exciting as it used to be.
·      David Fincher did not win Best Director! SERIOUSLY?!
·      I thought the opening montage was great, as well as the “Year of the Musical” montage. Very funny.
·      I loved my “Chuck” singing for Tangled!
·      Where was Dido for the 127 Hours theme song? Florence (from the Machine) sucked. Sorry.
·      I liked the homages paid to past films. That was cool. Especially when Spielberg mentioned the films that didn’t get Best Picture. However, he should have added E.T. to his list.
·      Best acceptance speech was the dude who won for the Best Short Film God of Love. Hilarious and touching!

1 comment:

  1. "Christopher Nolan is my master." -- Everyone who won an Oscar for Inception.

    ReplyDelete