Sunday, January 9, 2011

Space Exploration

I am teaching my 6th graders about space exploration right now. There are certain units during the school year that I get really excited about and this is one of them! I love how much we learn about space each year. I am pro Pluto being a dwarf-planet. I think it is fascinating that we continue to change what we thought we knew. These are a few of my favorite photos.

Actual photo of Saturn taken by the Cassini probe. I learned just this week that the reason for the large space in the middle of Saturn's rings is because of a couple of moons that orbit in that path! So cool.

Victoria Crater on Mars. The rover Opportunity has taken a photo from its edge. Look closely and you may see it.

Jani shared this one with me recently. Apparently sky divers will plan drops at the same time shuttles will launch. You can see a shuttle off in the distance. Awesome!!

3 comments:

  1. Yeay for space! :) We Radebaughs are a bunch of nerds. That Saturn shot is one of my faves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you teach your students about Krypton. "They can be a great people, Kal-El; they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you...my only son."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We want all who read this blog to know that Collin Barkdull is of no relation to us...

    ReplyDelete