Friday, January 21, 2011

Favorite Zombie Flicks

Sadly, the reason I wanted to start a blog back in December was so that I could make a list of my favorite zombie movies. I had just finished watching a zombie movie I had on my DVR since October and wanted to share with others how much I love this genre. I am no zombie expert--there are many films I have not seen, but the whole idea of zombie lore just fascinates me. SO here are my top five films, plus a couple of honorable mentions.

Number 5
This was the movie that hooked me into this genre--and it's the remake, not the original. I know, I'm a late bloomer. The movie has since lost it's scare factor on me, but the first time I saw it, I couldn't get the image of the little girl running down the hallway at the beginning of the film out of my head. Kept me awake for days.
Number 4
I have been a fan of British humor since the days of Monty Python on late night MTV. Add zombies to that and you have gold. Love this film!

Number 3
I didn't see this movie until just last year. I avoided it forever because I knew it would scare the life out of me--and it did. I get scared easily, but I do love the sensation. This film, again, shows the range of Danny Boyle (director) who I am a big fan of. One of the best things about this movie is the music. Love it.
Number 2
This made-for-British TV movie called "Dead Set" was the film I saw this past November. Not for the squeamish, but just really great.

And finally, Number 1
This film makes enduring a zombie apocalypse actually look fun. Woody Harrelson is so great and the surprise cameo toward the end is priceless. I am holding my breath for a sequel. If you have not seen this film, you must! It is almost perfect from the opening frame to the end.
Honorable Mentions
I Am Legend-Many do not consider this a zombie film. Maybe it's not. But the "last man on the Earth" vibe is done so well here. Will Smith's best movie.
Quarantine-This movie is one of the scariest I have ever seen. I had to close my eyes through the last 20 minutes.
28 Weeks Later-Not as good as the first, but still great.
"The Walking Dead" TV series on AMC. Great characters!

And I have to give a shout to my cousin Kurt Brian who has written an amazing zombie script called "Friday Night Bites." I hope this can be made into a film someday. It is funny, scary, and really well done. Plus he can cast me as one of the main characters...

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, you are a weirdo. Who likes this stuff?? So gruuuuesome! I will never even attempt watching any of these, although I have seen I am Legend. I now own it. Loved it. LOVED Will Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can't believe I shot Bill Murray"
    "It was my bad. I never was a very good practical joker"

    ReplyDelete